Blue Knot Foundation training: Foundation for Trauma-Informed Care and Practice
This one-day foundational interactive professional development training alerts attendees to the possibility that clients, staff members and/or practitioners may have experiences of trauma/s, from childhood, or more recently, which are affecting their health, wellbeing, and daily interactions and functioning.
It provides the knowledge and skills needed to better support their sensitivities and vulnerabilities, minimise re-traumatisation and enhance possibilities for recovery. As a significant percentage of Australians with trauma histories engages with diverse services, a basic understanding of trauma, trauma dynamics and the core principles of trauma-informed practice is vital for every person working in health and human services.
This training encourages attendees to reformulate their daily work practice and to ask: “What happened to you?” and ‘work with’ rather than ‘do to’ clients. It fosters collaborative practice, client and staff safety, a strengths-based approach and a trauma-informed lens which views ‘symptoms’ as adaptive coping strategies. Participants will return to their workplace with insights and tools which foster hope, recovery, enhance client and staff wellbeing and minimise the risks of re-traumatisation.
By participating in this professional development training, attendees will:
- Utilise knowledge of the types, prevalence and impacts of trauma to articulate the benefits of trauma-informed services
- Analyse the stress response to better understand your clients’ challenges in regulating their emotions and arousal
- Use a trauma-informed lens to reframe challenging emotions and behaviours as ‘adaptive’ responses to trauma
- Apply the principles of trauma-informed practice to develop strategies which enhance safety, minimise re-traumatisation and support recovery
- Perform an individual/organisational practice audit
Venue: Portside Conference Centre, Sydney
Date: Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 8:45am - 4:30pm
Link to the event website/booking details