Understanding domestic and family violence across migrant & refugee communities
This half day workshop will build capacity and sector development for local service providers to enhance their capacity to engage and respond to migrant and refugee families who experience domestic and family violence.
This workshop will cover the following topics:
- Acknowledging how culture, ethnicity and religion impact on communities understanding of domestic and family violence
- Intimate partner sexual violence and the challenges for women in reporting and dealing with this type of abuse
- The influence of gender roles & traditions within migrant and refugee communities
- Barriers to accessing support
- Culturally sensitive practice
- Risk assessment and safety planning
- Who should attend?
- Social workers, police officers, DV frontline workers, allied health staff, teachers, child welfare professionals, community members, housing support workers, early childhood workers, case managers.
About the trainer
Jatinder Kaur is the Director of JK Diversity Consultants and Accredited Mental health Social Worker specialist in working with migrant and refugee communities. Her professional career spans 15 years and across various scopes of practice: research, child protection, family support, refugee settlement support, domestic violence counselling, policy roles and teaching social work practice. Since 2011, she has been delivering training workshops to professionals from multi-disciplinary background across Australia to build cultural capability and responsiveness within child welfare, mental health, domestic and family violence. She has been strong advocate and has published research in various journals and presented at national and international conferences. She has prepared submissions to various child protection inquiries and Royal commissions and Domestic Violence reviews. She is a member of Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW), community member of the Queensland Parole Board and on the Advisory Board of Sikh Helpline Australia.
Springvale Service for Children, Multi-purpose Room, 23-28 Lightwood Road, Springvale Victoria 3171
- $25.00 (student/non-waged)